Brian Baumgartner's 'The Office' Chili Recipe
If you're a fan of the American television series, The Office, you know that perhaps one of the most memorable scenes is when Kevin Malone brings his famous chili to the office, only to drop the pot and spill the chili all over the floor.
Brian Baumgartner, the actor who portrays Kevin Malone in the series, is paying homage to this iconic scene by revealing his go-to chili recipe to TODAY. Baumgartner states that, "this is my personal favorite recipe but know that it is always changing. I love exploring new flavors and employing new techniques every time I make it — so you should feel free to make any adjustments you love too! Have fun with your garnishes!"
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped or 1 cup chopped shallots
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil or cooking oil
- 2 pounds lean ground turkey or lean ground beef, undrained
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (24-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (16-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ancho chile powder
- 4 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 (16-ounce) can pinto beans in mild chili sauce, undrained
- 1 (16-ounce) can kidney beans in mild chili sauce, undrained
- shredded cheddar cheese, to serve
1. In a large pot, sauté the chopped onion, green bell pepper and garlic in grapeseed oil over medium-high heat.
2. Add in the turkey or beef. Before the meat has completely cooked, add the tomato paste. Finish browning the meat completely.
3. Stir in the remaining ingredients, except the beans and the cheese. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat. Cover and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes (or longer until the desired consistency is reached), stirring occasionally.
4. Add in the beans 20 minutes before serving (you can't add the beans in right away or they get mushy).
5. Serve with sharp cheddar cheese.